Sometimes folks need someone to talk to about all kinds of issues. SHADE Consulting and Counselling offers counselling for folks with intellectual and developmental disabilities including those who have experienced trauma. Families are caregivers are included as much as needed, with the permission of the individual client in order to support the client outside the clinical setting.
Counselling services include, but are not limited to:
- Individual counselling for folks with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD);
- Siblings of individuals living with IDD;
- Parents and caregivers of children/adolescents living with IDD;
- Parents and caregivers of children/adolescents recently diagnosed;
An individualized approach is used for each client to adapt to individual needs. For additional information about our counselling services please contact us.
Not in the Okanagan? Give us a call, if appropriate we can set up online sessions!
The fine Print
- All one-hour individual sessions are 50 minutes in length.
- SHADE Consulting and Counselling may be covered by third party providers with prior arrangement and approval. This can include funds through the Autism Funding Branch, Crime Victims Assistance Program (CVAP), or Employee Assistance Programs (EAP). Please check with your external provider to ensure coverage prior to booking appointments. EAP clients must pay for their sessions at each session. We will provide you with a receipt to claim the cost back from your provider.
- Cash, cheque, electronic bank transfers.
- If you do not keep scheduled appointments or cancel appointments at your own location and you haven’t notified us at least 24 hours in advance, you will be required to pay the full cost of the session including travel time and kilometres if applicable. Insurers and third party providers will generally NOT cover the cost of a missed appointment.
The law protects the relationships between a client and a therapist, and information cannot be disclosed without written permission. When services are requested by a third party and a report is requested we will discuss the privacy and confidentiality issues associated with this.
Sometimes there are exceptions to confidentiality and privacy, these include:
- Suspected child abuse or dependent adult or elder abuse, for which we are required by law to report to the appropriate authorities immediately;
- If a client is threatening serious bodily harm to another person/s, we must notify the police and inform the intended victim;
- If a client intends to harm him or herself, we will make every effort to enlist their cooperation in ensuring their safety. If they do not cooperate, we will take further measures without their permission that are provided to us by law in order to ensure their safety.